Sunday 1 November 2009

Various Sightings

So busy that it's been a while but what a fabulous transition from summer to autumn it's been. And so mild that we still haven't turned the heating on yet!

Favoutite things recently

New dive site - western gullies just off Mevagissey Harbour. Went out with Sals Diving really relaxed but thorough operation. Western gullies in a shallow (9m) shore dive with great marine life. I was a bit concerned, given that it is right next to the harbour, that it would be awash with rubbish and dead fish. Not a bit of it. Despite a free flowing octopus, a new dive site and in theory a photography lesson I had a fabulous dive. Even swapping mouthpieces underwater was stress free. To have a closer look at the site have a look at this youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC9qksPxBQ8 The photo is about the best I could manage, even though it was a good dive the free flow did occupy my attention more than my camera and my other shots were quite simply pants.















There have been large numbers of different birds down at Par Beach and I've finally started to remember to bring my binoculars on a more regular occurance. Absolutely essential when Harry scattered all before him.
A week or two back on one 45 min walk I saw the following;
Herring Gull
Black Headed  Gull
Some small little auks
Sandpiper
Oyster catcher
Litte Egret
Heron
Mute Swan
Goose - some sort
Hawk - ditto
Blue tit
Long tailed tit
Yellow wagtail
Robin
Sedge warbler
Goldfinch
Rook / carrion crow
Various ducks

The reson for such  varied spot is that there is a reedy stream that leads down on to Par beach from the carpark, the beach is flanked on one side by small cliffs and is huge and flat with rocks at either end. Behind the sandy beach are sand dunes and behind the dunes is a large lake with scrub trees at one end. So lots of different habitats.  I could have seen more I suspect but ... Harry.

No comments:

Post a Comment