Monday 28 September 2009

Photography course with David Chapman at the Bishop's Forum Centre

This Saturday was a great day in so many ways. I'd booked myself onto a one day photography course with wildlife photographer David Chapman. I've always enjoyed taking photos but know I could always do better so I was really looking forward to doing this. The group of 10 was an interesting mix of amateurs and semi pros so at times the conversations seemed either blindingly obvious or ridiculously complicated depending on who you were. Thankfully, everyone seemed content to accept that there was a multitude of needs in the room and no one tried to hog the limelight. Have to say though, some people's kit was awesome, serious camera envy going on. David focused on close up photography as the weather conditions weren't going to lend themselves to much of anything else. Picked up some good tips and had  fun learning how some apparently natural shots are completely rigged!

We then went out for an hour or two around Bishops Forum who were hosting the event. They are a fabulous centre set up to help children, who don't get any breaks in their life, to have a rest and get some fun. The centre has expanded now and runs a huge range of activities and is set in a disused quarry between Falmouth and Penryn. It certainly had the potential for some great wildlife shots and some of us managed some real corkers. I was pleased with one of mine but for me the best part was understanding what some of the little buttons on my camera did. I will also be buying some extension rings, very impressed with them and a tripod as I shake too much!

At the end we all put forward a few shots that we were pleased with and all discussed them. It was great and rather nice receiving compliments from people who were clearly better than me. It also made it easier to bear the gentle criticisms. They probably weren't even criticisms but anything less than "Wow, you're wonderful" smarts :-) I'd love to join the CWT wildlife photography group but I doubt I would ever get the time away. Having just looked at their site I see they've got an Art exhibition coming up. Will do my best to get to that.

After a lovely day I drove home to find a shattered husband and dog - that was a BIG walk. We then went to collect the boys from a birthday party and ended up joining in on some massive games of bulldog and kick the can. Today is Monday and I can still barely walk. There's no need for fancy gyms or fitness instructors just play for an hour with a bunch of rugby loving 9 year olds and those pounds will simply fall away! As will your dignity, knee caps and fingernails.

No comments:

Post a Comment